01 January 2017

Happy New Year!


The first toast of the new year is a timeless celebration, whether at a party or at home. Happy New Year!

Challenges

Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge: Party Time
Freshly Made Sketches: Sketch 268
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Wonderful Wednesday: Anything Goes

Supplies


Putting It Together

I started working on this card on 31 Dec in the afternoon. I didn't intend to continue working on it through the evening, but.. well.. I got into the 'zone' and it was nearing 10pm when I finished *laugh*. I then went to make a simple dinner for my sweetie and me so we could spend the rest of the night watching a movie together and share our midnight toast of Martinelli's Sparkling Cider (neither of us much likes champagne *laugh*). It was the perfect way to ring in the new year.


For a "no lines" effect, I stamped the image with Desert Sand on a light weight watercolour cardstock. Then I used Distress Inks and waterbrushes to paint the image. 

I squish the mini pad on my smooth plastic work mat (a divider sheet I didn't need for its intended purpose) and pick up the colour on the brush. Most of the time I paint on dry paper ("wet on dry" technique) and use the waterbrush almost like a marker. 


My "go to" for adult Caucasian skin is Antique Linen, Tattered Rose, and Victorian Velvet. I first lay down the Antique Linen as an under colour. If I want a younger look, I use Spun Sugar for this step. Then, I add in the purplish Victorian Velvet along shadow lines. I use Tattered Rose to blend them together. I then use a wet brush with just water to lift some of the top colour and sometimes paint on more linen to enhance highlights. 


At this point I wasn't sure what colours I wanted to use on the couple so I went looking through challenges for an idea, an inspiration. I thought about using this combination and then changed my mind when I looked thought the Distress Ink collection and the missing colour is something peach, but...


I initially decided to paint a pink dress using Spun Sugar as the base, Festive Berries for shadows, and Worn Lipstick for the mid-range. But, after painting on the Spun Sugar, I used Festive Berries on the stamped lines and had a thought. With the MFT challenge colours still stuck in my hear, I painted over with Dried Marigold and was astonished by the perfect light peach that was emerging. Yummy.


I used Worn lipstick for shadows and...


... added Perfect Pearls Pearl with a dry brush to give the dress a pearly chiffon look. In person, the pearl effect is even more gorgeous then in the pictures.

The paper to the side is how I keep track of the colours I use. I make notes to myself as I paint, rarely using the full names, just enough to do the Inlinkz search or job my own memory.


After painting her dress a lovely peach, teal seemed the perfect pairing for his suit. I used Tumbled Glass as the base, Mermaid Lagoon and Chipped Sapphire as shadows, and Broken China to blend.

I decided to give her brown hair to enhance the peach dress and made him a blond to go with his suit. Her brown hair started with Tea Dye, Walnut Stain for the shadows, Vintage Photo to blend, and Ground Espresso for darker shadow. For his blond, I started with Scattered Straw with Vintage Photo shadows and Tea Dye to blend with additional shadowing in Walnut Stain. I've been getting a lot better at hair.

I used Wink of Stella on her bow to have a different sparkle effect than the dress and have the bow a bit brighter against the brown hair.

The bottle is Bundled Sage, Evergreen Bough, and Pine Needles.


I used the square matting die from Spellbinders to trim the image panel. The die has an extra wide lip to either side of the cut line, when run through the Big Shot, with the Silicone Rubber and Impression Pad, the lip created a debossed matted area. I also added a rhinestone star for her earring for a touch of 3-dimensional bling.


I use dry fitting to play on the layout. I decided to use a metallic silver and blue linen as the background. I used larger squares of the same matting die set to have the same edging on the panels.


I used the sketch from the Freshly Made Sketches challenge as the inspiration for the layout.


Inside the card, I stamped "Happy New Year" with Mermaid Lagoon and then overstamped it with Platinum for a subtle shine.


With the dimensionality of the panels from the dies, I decided to add each directly to the card in layers.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cute card and so beautifully colored! The texture on each layer is a great look. Thanks so much for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.