13 May 2016

Mermaid Life


I started this card last Monday when I found out the Monday challenge for Simon Says Stamp blog was embossing. I had gotten this particular embossing folder with a mind to make a card with Nerissa. Then, while making this card I found out the May 2016 release for Krafting Kimmie Stamps is "Under the Sea" with the first preview stamps on Tuesday being mermaids! I have also been wanting to use more of my resin castings and this was a great opportunity for those, too.


Supplies

Putting It Together

This card is made up of layers and I started with the bubble layer.


I used my Distress Ink mini pads directly on the embossing folder to add ink to the 'raised' areas. For the one panel I used, I put a spot of antique linen at the top, peacock feathers in the middle, and salty ocean on the bottom to give the background more character. I got this idea from Krafting Tips and Tutes: http://kraftinkimmiestamps.blogspot.ca/2016/05/krafty-tips-tuts-under-water-background.html. I think it really does make a difference though subtle in the finished card. I still need to get more Distress Ink colours *chuckle*


After running it through BigShot to impress the paper, I misted the embossed sheet with confetti white Perfect Pearls mixed with water to give it a bit of sparkle and blend the inks on the edges.


I stamped KKS - Nerissa on to X-press It blending card with ColorSnap black pigment ink. My pad is in need of re-inking (I've got some on order) so the image wasn't as darkly stamped as I would prefer. But I like the crisp image I get with the X-press It.


I coloured Nerissa with Chameleon pens: Deep Violet (VO1) and Aqua Marine (BG4) for the tail, Bisque (NU1) and Fawn (NU3) for the skin, Spring Meadow (YG3) and Summer Sun (YL2) for the hair, Spring Meadow for her eyes, and Bubblegum (PK3) and Fawn for her shells. Then I fussy cut her out. I love the Tim Holtz micro serrated snips for fussy cutting, easy to get in the intricate areas.


I dry-fitted her on the background to judge the contrast and if I needed anything more for her, like adding some of the Deep Violet to her shell bra and a bit of Grass Green (GR3) to her tail later in the process.


I added Wink of Stella to the fins and purple area at the top of the tail to give them a shimmery effect. Much later I also added some streaks of Wink of Stella to her hair and Glossy Accents to her shell bra and as accents on the shell in her hands.


I put the mermaid and bubbles against various designs in the Doodlebug Anchors Aweigh pad to decide what to use.


I also tried her with some shell ribbon.



After selecting the background paper, the coloured anchors to add in some more brightness, I chose mounting papers in yellow and blue, both from retired Stampin' Up cardstocks given to me by a friend who was reducing her stash. I intended to have a very narrow border on the blue but accidentally cut it to the exact width of the trimmed bubble panel. However, I liked the look of it just peeking out top and bottom. The yellow also had a bit of character mounting the anchor paper on just 2 sides.

I dry fit the card with various resin pieces I've cast , to get an idea of how I wanted to embellish the piece.



I die cut and embossed an anchor with Spellbinders Nautical die. Using a makeup sponge, and Coloursnap metallic trio, bronze and silver, I dabbed the anchor to give it life.

I then assembled the finished card using mounting tape to add dimension between the layers and beneath the resin embellishments to finish the card.


Challenges

1 comment:

  1. Wow, beautiful card and perfect for our challenge this week of layers! So glad you were inspired to use our tutorial on your card! Thanks for joining our challenge this week with Kraftin Kimmie stamps.
    Marilyn DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.